As a intern, speeches and presentations are to be expected. It is important to know some basics of public speaking. Here are some tips for your next speech!
- Speak slowly. As people become increasingly excited about their topic, it is not uncommon to unintentionally speed up. Not only is this unprofessional, it also makes it difficult for people to understand your speech!
- Look at the audience. Although it is okay to have some notes, it is not okay to be looking at them constantly! Remember to look at your audience the majority of the time! Eye contact is important as well.
- Enunciate. When nervous, people often stumble over long words or add in filler words such as “um” and “like.” Don’t forget to pronounce words clearly and avoid stammering!
- Practice. It is easy to stumble over foreign words if you don’t practice! By going over your speech, you will also find any sentences that sound awkward or are hard to pronounce.
- Relax. The audience can tell if you are nervous. Don’t shift your weight around or fidget with your hands. This will make you look more confident and help engage the audience.